The Shellac Sisters are four glamorous DJs who dress in all things vintage and play 78rpm records on 1920s wind-up gramophones.
The gramophones don't need any electricity (just lots of wind-up action!). Of course, gramophones were only ever designed for use at home in the parlour... perfect for very small flapper soirees or family picnics, but not loud enough for anything beyond the domestic environment. The Shellac Sisters are the only gramophone dj's who have had unique electrical attachments custom designed to discretely allow us to use modern technology - we can plug our grams into an amp and turn up the volume! No need for microphones (which cause feedback), our specially made sound heads enable us to play for every size of audience and venue ranging from garden parties and weddings to major nightclub dancefloors!
We have a vast collection of 78s covering all styles of music from the twenties through to the fifties… Big band swing by Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller and The Andrews Sisters, classics like Tea for Two and The Lambeth Walk, novelties by Noel Coward and cheeky music hall acts, 1920s flapper favourites, Hollywood movie classics from Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire and Marlene Dietrich, jumping jive by Cab Calloway and Louis Jordan, 1950s rock'n'roll from Elvis and bombshell hits from Marilyn Monroe, latin exotics by Carmen Miranda and Perez Prado… tea dancing foxtrots, quicksteps, blackbottoms and cockney knees ups!
Our list of notable credits includes:
- Milliner Stephen Jones’ birthday party in the penthouse suite of The Dorchester Hotel
- BBC Television programme, “Len Goodman's Dance Band Days”
- Quintessentially 10th Anniversary party at The Savoy Hotel, London
- Victoria & Albert Museum “Mad Hatters” party
- Bloomberg Annual Summer Party
- Amazon.com’s Christmas party at Fulham Palace
- BBC’s 1930s party at Simpsons on the Strand
- Show Studio “Fashion DJ” event at Abbey Road Studios with Nick Knight
- National Film Theatre’s nautical summer party
- The Royal Academy of Arts, champagne gala for The Summer Exhibition
- The London Science Museum “women and science” evening
- Time Out Magazine Christmas party at Pop Nightclub
- Curson Cinema Smoking Cabinet Film Festival
- The Southbank Centre summer Tea Dance
- Zaha Hadid event at London’s Design Museum
- BBC Television programme, “Darcey Bussell Dances Hollywood”
- The Leadenhall Ball
- Milliner Stephen Jones’ 25th Anniversary party at Debenham House
- The Arts Council’s Knitted Wedding in Battersea Park
- 1940’s themed launch party at London’s National Theatre
- Victoria & Albert Museum “Evening of Utter Elegance”
- The Spiegel Tent at the Cork Midsummer Festival
- Glastonbury Festival, Bestival, Camp Bestival, Henley Festival, The Secret Garden Party, Vintage Goodwood, Southbank Vintage Festival and Festhino music Festivals
- Plus private parties and weddings at: Claridges Hotel, Shoreditch House, Althorpe House (ancestral home of Diana, Princess of Wales), Kenwood House, Voewood House, Soho House, Babbington House, Kew Gardens, The London Transport Museum, Tate Britain, The Wellcome Collection, The Old Vic Theatre, The Honorable Society of Gray’s Inn, The Inner Temple, The Kings Cross Scala, The Notting Hill Arts Club, The Pigalle Club, Koko Nightclub, The Rivoli Ballroom, Boisdales Restaurant, Skylon Restaurant, Jupiter Artland, The Black Cotton Club, White Mischief, Gaz’s Rockin Blues...
If you'd like us to play for you
please do drop us a line.
See you on the dancefloor!
Jane, Jenny, Theo and Virginia
The Shellac Sisters